Edited July 2 2022 after reviewing my Facebook discussion with Eugene Sergeev on Microsoft's product team.
MIM 2016 SP2 (and 4.4.1459.0 or later supports SQL Server Always On Availability Groups (AG))! Yeah!
- Up to the moment distributed backup of the data -- yes!
- Automatic instant failover -- not without a huge caveat!
- TLS 1.2 support is added to the MIM Service and Portal installer. This update will install if TLS 1.2 is the only enabled protocol .
- After you install this update, the change-mode setup of the MIM Service and Portal will succeed by having only TLS 1.2 enabled and SQL OLE DB driver installed.
- Microsoft OLE DB Driver 18 for SQL Server must be installed:
- The FIM Service will retry 10 times with a 6 second timeout after which it fails.
- The FIM Synchronization service timeout and retries isn't specified.
- But it too will fail, especially if in the middle of a sync.
- So we can configure the Services to restart after a short delay.
- So if we lower the HostRecordTTL cluster parameter to 60 seconds and configure services to restart we might have an automatic failover.